Sunday, March 13, 2011

Vaudreuil (pronounced VO-DRAE)

One week and one day into my life in Haiti, I've collected photos on my camera, but am having difficulty uploading them. Here's a few, with more to come...
Sign for St. Francois de Sales Hospital
Gate to St. Francois de Sales Church and Parish
St. François de Sales Catholic Church

This past week I worked in the clinic here, with my translator and another nurse at my side showing me the ropes.
The clinic and hospital are very small with little assessment equipment.  I wish I would've invested in an otoscope and pulse-ox monitor. There is a laboratory on site with very limited options.  Sometimes nurses examine patients and order labs, something I'm not accustomed to deciding. On Wednesday, I spent time with Mama Baby Haiti, at a rural clinic they hold weekly at an open air school. The Docs and Midwives were great to grab assessment tips from.

I've visited Cap-Haïtian 3-4X's now since it's not far, about 8 kilometers according to Fr. Geordani.
Last night I accompanied a patient in the ambulance to St. Justinian, the main hospital in Cap. The patient's head was hit with a cement block and he was unconscious for about 1/2 hour prior to transfer.  It was a challenge to keep him talking with my limited kreyol and no interpreter at my side. Making him name everything in site drained my vocabulary but thankfully I knew most of the right answers.  Potholes and nutty drivers crowd the road that leads both to Cap and Port-au-Prince. I hear it takes about 4 hours to get to Port-au-Prince.


No comments:

Post a Comment