Saturday, April 2, 2011

Shada A.K.A. Slums of Cap-Haitien

Two weeks ago, I spent time with some dentists in Shada, the slums of Cap. Since then, I've been able to visit 3 times. Food for the Poor distributed furniture for the lone clinic there, along with 10 bags of rice and soy! I was blessed to participate in these distributions and learn about this community. Coming here is like walking into an infomericial for Feed the Children or another non-profit, except with the added sensory experience of smell. The stench is strong but the children's curiosity and beauty quickly help you ignore your olfactory system.

The people of Shada.

Shada, at the edge of the ocean.
People waiting for the dental clinic in Shada.
I went 2 weeks ago to help American dentists and to learn a technique used for cavities when little to no supplies can be found.


Timoun ak mwen (Children and me). This was my 1st day in Shada. 

Myself and Madame Bwa. Madame is a lay healthcare worker who lives and runs a clinic in Shada. 

This little girl is obviously malnourished. Her hair is red. This meal was provided by Food for the Poor and Madame Bwa. 

Food for the Poor provided rice and soy for these kids, while  the community added bean sauce, okra, oil , time and love. Madame Bwa said she had to spend her own money to provide the extra ingredients.




Beautiful children!


This little twin is not a newborn. According to her mom, she's 3 months old.


Aww! No scraps for these guys...no crumbs to give.



I spend most mornings at St. Francois de Sales clinic with some runs to Justinian Hospital in the afternoon or evenings to transfer patients. Since my last post I transported a baby born with gastroschisis, a woman in hypertensive crisis, a dehydrated boy who has a heart murmur and a woman hit by a motorcycle. The roads are in despicable shape and I'm so grateful that I'm not the driver. Since my last post, I've come to learn that the woman who drank battery acid survived and is at home! 

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting and especially for the pictures. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sharon, amazing! Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sharon, great work. Just hope you've got connected with the Cap Haitian Health Network. An invaluable resource. If not email me at haitivillagehealth.ca. Tiffany Keenan, MD

    ReplyDelete